My Paternal Ancestors: Patterson, et al
By Wes Patterson (Last Revised: 4 April 2017)
They left there approximately 1738 and moved to the Shenandoah Valley of Va in what was then Orange Co, later Augusta Co, and now Rockingham Co. They settled a few miles west of the town of Harrisonburg, which did not yet exist at the time. This was below the head waters of Linville Creek, and above the headwaters of Cooks Creek.
By 1763 (give or take a few years) they moved to what is now York Co SC near Kings Mountain. At the time it was Craven Co SC, but then later Mecklenburg Co NC, Tryon Co NC, and then York Co SC by the late 1770s. During the 1790s, my branch of the Pattersons, who were still in Camden District, SC, may have been in Lancaster County, but this has not been proven.
Between 1796 and 1798 they moved to Buncombe Co NC along Jenkins Branch near the modern town of Alexander.
About 1818/20 they moved a little further west into Haywood Co NC near the current town of Iron Duff.
By the 1820's they moved south into Rabun Co Ga, and by 1834 were in Union Co Ga - Lower Young Cane district - where my branch of the family settled and remained for many generations. The various branches of the family in Union County lived in Lower Young Cane and Ivylog districts for the most part. My father (Frank Patterson) was born in Ivylog in 1940.
My Patterson ancestors are as follows, beginning with the oldest generation:
- William Patterson (b. bef 1690; d. ca 1710/20) m. Margaret ____
- Robert Patterson (b. ca 1705/11; d. 1775) m. Sarah ____
- Thomas Patterson (b. ca 1738-44; d. after 1800) m. Margaret Harrison
- John Patterson (b. ca 1762/65; d. ca 1840/50) m. Margaret "Peggy" Black
- George Patterson (b. 1800; d. 1860) m. Rebecca Chastain
- William Harden "Bill" Patterson (b. 1832; d. 1883) m. Elizabeth Akins
- Joseph Elijah "Lige" Patterson (b. 1871; d. 1957) m. "Nannie" Ammons
- Clinton Willie "Clint" Patterson (b. 1904; d. 1975) m. Wilma Stephens
- Francis Oliver "Frank" Patterson (b. 1940; d. 2015) m. Vanza Davis
- Charles Wesley "Wes" Patterson (b. 1968) m. Ginna Fishburne
Biographical Sketch of Robert PattersonIn 2002 I wrote a Biographical Sketch of Robert Patterson based on evidence we had at the time. A few updates have been added to this document since then, but for the most part, it is as it was written in 2002. That said, there is plenty more evidence that is to be told, and future works will bring those details to light. If you wish to receive a PDF copy of this document, just send me an email and I will be glad to send it to you. Thanks.
Patterson DNA Project (world-wide)There is a world-wide DNA project setup for the Patterson family at FamilyTreeMaker.com.
Frank Patterson's Maternal Family LinesThe following surnames make up Frank Patterson's (my dad) ancestors. If you have any info on any of these families that you'd like to share with me, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thank you.
- STEPHENS Family: my grandmother (includes FRANKS, BYERS, RATCLIFF, COFFEY, CLEVELAND, PRESLEY, FERGUSON, STRAIN / STRAYHORN, DAVIS, BROUGHTON, McCLAIN, European Royal families)
- AMMONS Family: my g-grandmother (includes SANDERS, HOLLAND, HURST, SHEPHERD, MOFFITT, WHITAKER, CARLETON, BUCHANAN, GRIBBLE, BLACK)
- AKINS Family: my gg-grandmother (includes NICHOLSON, McCRAVEY)
- CHASTAIN Family: my ggg-grandmother (includes SOBLET, BRIAN)
- BLACK Family: my gggg-grandmother
- HARRISON Family: my ggggg-grandmother
Patterson Research Group
Marty Grant descends from another group of Pattersons who also settled in the western NC and north Ga region. Marty started an E-mail List Service for those of us who descend from Pattersons who migrated through the area of upstate SC, western NC, north Ga, and eastern TN. Many of us have had good success in trading information and resources via this new list serv. I highly recommend that you subscribe to this list. Just follow the link below.
Subscribe to PattersonGenealogyNC