The Patterson-Ferrell Connection to the Robert Patterson Family of York Co., SC - Part 1This post is Part 1 in a series of posts that will establish the connection between the Patterson-Ferrell marriage (and their descendants), to the Robert Patterson family of York Co, SC. DNA evidence established in 2014 that there is a definite connection. Now the burden of proof lies on us researchers to show on paper, precisely HOW they connect.
I will be presenting evidence over the next few posts that make a case for the John Patterson who married Ann Ferrell, to have been a son of Robert and Elizabeth Patterson of Buncombe Co., NC, who lived there along Turkey Creek between 1800 and 1810. The latter Robert Patterson is believed to have been a brother of John Patterson (b. 1765) that married Margaret "Peggy" Black. These brothers were sons of Thomas Patterson (and Margaret Harrison), and therefore grandsons of Robert Patterson, who died in 1775 in York Co., SC. Both of these brothers attended Newfound Baptist Church in Buncombe, both were deacons, and both were listed in the church minutes on numerous occasions.
The evidence that I will be sharing has been gathered by various individuals, such as Harald Reksten, myself (Wes Patterson), John Patterson (the dna match who is a descendant of the Patterson-Ferrell marriage), and general, publicly-available records.
I hope to clearly present the following evidences:
- Present the lineage of the DNA tester back to his proven ancestor, Lee Patterson. Of course, I will not spell out all the details of living persons here. I just mean I will show the proven ancestors of the dna tester, which goes back to said Lee Patterson.
- Present the connection from Lee Patterson to John and Ann Ferrell Patterson.
- Present evidence that links the families of central Tennessee, where the Pattersons and Ferrells settled, to the families of Buncombe and Burke Co., NC in general, and to Robert and Elizabeth Patterson specifically, where possible.
- Present evidence that links this latter Robert Patterson to Thomas Patterson and his son John Patterson (my ancestor), and therefore to the Robert and Sarah Patterson clan from York Co., SC.
- Present the DNA evidence that links the Patterson-Ferrell branch not only to Robert Patterson of York Co, SC, but most closely to those tested who descend from Joseph Patterson (b. 1789), oldest son of John and Margaret Black Patterson. In other words, this Patterson-Ferrell branch match more closely, dna-wise, to the Thomas Patterson branch of the York Co, SC families, than the Peter Patterson branch or the Robert Patterson II branch.